Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fearless Females - Day 6

In honor of National Women's History Month, I will be following the blogging prompts from The Accidental Genealogist blog. The prompts are interesting and I need to post something so I am following along again.  Here is Day 6.

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)

I haven't posted anything for a couple of days because I don't have many stories or heirlooms.  I just have paper that I have collected and some pictures that my cousin had.  I kept thinking I don't have a story to tell.  The more I think about it, I think there may always be a story to tell.  Sometimes, it just is a little different than what you would expect. I imagine that there are a few things left from my Grandmother.  My cousin may have something.  I really need to spend more time talking to her.  I really enjoy it when I can get her to talking.  She was very young, but she knew my grandparents.  They both died at her house.  My grandfather's funeral was held there.  

My grandmother was a fearless female.  She raised many children, nine of her own, and was stepmother to three more.  She died years before I was born, so, of course, I have no memories of her.  I just have what the cousins who were born before she died have been able to tell me.

In my research I found out that when I was young I lived in the house that she had lived in for several years.  I only have very vague memories about the house.  My older sisters were describing it to me recently, as they told me things some of the memories came back.  They talked about the neighbors who lived near us and I remembered them.  


I went to the neighborhood to find the house to take a picture, but the house was gone.  The house had been a double, my aunt and her family lived there at one time.  The lot looked so small.  It was hard to believe that a house that held a family of our size had stood there, and that a few generations of our family had lived on that little lot.  How many of us had played in the yard?   

No comments:

Post a Comment