Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fearless Females - Lunch with my Aunt Ethel

In honor of National Women's History Month, I will be following the blogging prompts from The Accidental Genealogist blog. The prompts are interesting and I am truly enjoying this.  Here is day 16.


March 16 — If you could have lunch with any female family member (living or dead) or any famous female who would it be and why? Where would you go? What would you eat?

If I could have lunch with any of my dad's female relatives I would chose his sister Ethel Mae Plummer Heinzelmann.  She was about two years older than my dad.  

I would have lunch with Aunt Ethel to talk to her about her parents and siblings.  Since she was just a little older than my dad I think she was close to him growing up and might remember things about when he was young.  I was twenty when my dad died so I didn't get to ask him those things.

I remember meeting her twice.  One time we stopped by her house when we were traveling and she was sitting on her porch.  When she saw who had pulled up to her house, she ran out and hugged my dad.  The only other time I remember seeing her she came to my house to see my dad not too long before he died.

I wish I had gotten to spend more time with her, and had gotten to know her.  They lived a distance from us so we didn't get to see her.  

I don't know what we would have to eat.  I would ask her to fix something that her mother fixed for her when she was growing up.  I would want it to be something that was my dad's favorite.  

I have always wanted to know more about my dad's family.  My Aunt Ethel would know all about her parents and grandparents.  Maybe she sat and talked to her grandmother when she was younger and  maybe her grandmother told her about growing up and stories about her parents.  They lived next door to their grandmother at one time.



I have a couple of pictures of Aunt Ethel that aren't very good.  I hope to get more pictures some day.  I know there are pictures, I just haven't been able to get any yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment