Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fearless Females - Day 4


In honor of National Women's History Month, I will be following the blogging prompts from The Accidental Genealogist blog. The prompts are interesting and I need to post something so I am following along again.  Here is Day 4.


March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

My Great Grandparents Elizabeth (Eliza) York and William T Boughner were married in Bracken County, Kentucky on 14th day of January 1867.

I found these copies of the marriage record and marriage bond on FamilySearch.com.  




The Marriage Bond  lists as surety, John J. Clark, my great grandmother's half-brother.  

On the bond the signatures of my great grandfather and my great grand uncle are signified by an X.  So neither were literate and able to sign their name.  

It was a first marriage for both and my great grandfather was a farmer.

Listed under remarks, it says "Consent of mother given through son".

During my search this record helped my to determine I had correctly identified my great grandmother on the Census record since it had the name of her half-brother, who was living with her in one of the early Census records.  I have been able to find pictures of John Clark on Ancestry.com.  He lived to be 97 years old.




No comments:

Post a Comment