Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fearless Females - Prompt 10 Religion

In honor of National Women's History Month, I will be following the blogging prompts from The Accidental Genealogist blog. The prompts are interesting and I need to post something so I am following along again.  Here is Day 5.


March 10 — What role did religion play in your family? How did your female ancestors practice their faith? If they did not, why didn’t they? Did you have any female ancestors who served their churches in some capacity?

I am not sure what role religion played in my father's family in recent years.  In going back through the generations I have found ministers in the family.


The only person  that I know that was involved with church was my grandmother.  Grandma Anna Boughner Plummer was very involved with her church.  She would take my cousin to church with her when he was very young.  He would ride along her side on his tricycle as she walked to church on Sunday's.  He was only five when she died, but he remembered her being very involved with the Nazarene church.  As an adult he has been a member of the Nazarene church.  I believe that is because of his memories of Grandma Anna.

The Nazarene church she attended was the church my mother took me too as a young child.  I don't know if my mother started attending that particular church because of my grandmother, but I believe that is what happened.  

I have tried to contact the Nazarene church to see if they have any old records or church directories, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone who has that information.  I would love to find records of her attendance.  Grandma Anna's funeral was held at that church.  


I remember that my dad talked about his mother attending the United Brethren Church.  I don't know if that occurred when she was growing up or when he was young.

My Grandma Anna Plummer was a fearless female whose religion played a key role in her life.





No comments:

Post a Comment