Saturday, February 2, 2013

Browsing collections on Family Search

Have you tried browsing records on Family Search? It is a great way to find records that are not indexed. It takes a little while, but it's worth it. I have lots of ancestors in Wayne County, Indiana.
They have digital images of a huge number of records to look through. I think they are working on the indexing but that is time consuming.

I personally am not patient enough to wait. I have found numerous family marriage records and amassed a large amount of information by searching the digital images.

The digital image sometimes contains more information than the certificate that you purchase. My parents wedding certificate did not mention my dad's first marriage. It is on the digital image from Family Search and it gives me the divorce date. Had I just taken the certified copy that my mother had and searched no further I would not have anything written down showing me that he had a previous marriage or that it ended by divorce in 1934.

Now, if only that digital record had given me the name of his first spouse, it would have been a home run.

If you haven't done so take the time to browse the records. It is free, you just need to set up an account.

No comments:

Post a Comment