Thursday, February 7, 2013

Those Places Thursday - Stoneman's Raid 1864

I am devoting my Those Places Thursday to writing about my ancestors and where they fought in the Civil War in honor of the 150th Anniversaries that will be occurring for the next few years at battlefields.  I would encourage everything to take their children and grandchildren to visit a battlefield.  They are significant parts of our American history and the generations after all will need to appreciate that so they will continue to preserve the history.

My great grandfather William T Boughner fought in a small skirmish in December 1864.  It is located in Smyth County, Virginia.  The campaign was called Stoneman's Raid 1864 into Southwest Virginia.  William  was in the 54th Kentucky Mounted Infantry.

The men rode through the Cumberland Gap and defeated a makeshift force of Confederate Soldiers.  The Union forces destroyed leadworks, saltworks, and mines.


No comments:

Post a Comment