Friday, February 1, 2013

Sorting Saturday - My Digital Organization

When I first started my genealogical research last spring I got folders and they were all color coded.  I though I would put everything nicely in files.  When I went to do research at the libraries I was dragging everything along.  After a few times of this I knew this wasn't going to work for me.

Next, I started carrying my laptop and of course I had my smartphone with me all the time.  I could look up my Ancestry.com tree and my Family Tree Maker tree and know what I was looking for.  I had all the dates available and at my fingertips.  I  could scan everything into these programs.  I still wasn't totally happy with that.

For Christmas, my husband, who sometimes is annoyed by all my time on the computer, purchased me an Ipad.  He loves me though so he wants me to be happy.

Now instead of scanning things into my computer, I usually just take a picture with my Ipad.  I put the photo's into Dropbox so they will go directly to my computer also.

If I need to take any notes I use Evernote.

I love taking my genealogy research with me everywhere I go.  I always have my Ipad and my Iphone.  I have always loved technology so I guess that just carries over to my genealogy.  I have two of my loves combined now.  Yeah!!  Maybe I'm an ology addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment